Thursday, May 13, 2010

Kopan Monastery

So today I went for a walk heading toward the north end of the valley, thinking I'd try to get to the valley edge. I ended up drifting a bit more to the east and saw this cool looking building up on what looked like a not too distant hill and decided I'd try to check it out. The building ended up being Kopan Monastery just north of Boudha. 

The building that I first saw was, pictured in the distance above, was actually off limits to visitors, but other parts were open. It must be a bit of a tourist attraction as I saw plenty of Europeans here.


I got a kick out of this sign, and a few monks chuckled as I took a picture of it.

This was the intricately painted Gompa entrance. They really kept the grounds very well, and their were numerous flowering plants. One of the most pleasant places I've been in the Kathmandu area.

Well maintained and clean, this was a great place to relax for a bit in the middle of the day. It would almost seem too easy being a monk here one would think.

Stupa at the back end of the grounds.

Kind of a neat place to just stumble upon when going for a walk. I may have to go back with Kim, armed with a little bit more knowledge about this place.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails